A few of our favorite frugal, family friendly recipes

pexels-photo-119637

Say that 5 times, fast! ha!

Eating good quality, tasty, healthyish and budget friendly food is such an important part of our lifestyle here at This Tiny Blue House. Mer has a big appetite – he’s a meat and potatoes kind of guy while although I enjoy my meat and potatoes I tend to prefer more savory combinations of protein and vegetables. Our meal plans are often a mix of both and after some trial and error we’ve settled on a few recipes that satisfy both our palettes and make repeat appearances week after week.

I don’t create recipes – I modify them. So, I take absolutely zero credit for the base recipes I’m providing below. What I am offering is a few frugal hacks to reduce the cost of each dish without sacrificing the quality and taste.

I generally prepare and cook all these dishes on Sundays. I then store them in our fridge and pop them into the oven to reheat as we need them throughout the week. I cannot tell you how much easier this makes life – not only is dinner prepared but there is virtually no clean up.

Mediterranean Chicken from The Clever Carrot

IMG_88641.jpg

[Source: 1]

First, we omit the bocconcini altogether. I’m not a fan of melted bocconcini and quite honestly this dish is incredibly tasty and satisfying without it. We then substitute 1 can of artichokes for a can of marinated artichokes (price difference is roughly 2$), using our own oil and spices to marinate the chicken. Chicken thighs are weirdly more expensive than chicken breast in this area so to save a couple of bucks we use breast. Finally, we use frozen herbs from our summer garden instead of fresh.

It produces approx 6 servings so plenty for dinner and leftovers for lunches. It’s Margs approved too. Frugal math tells me that it comes our to roughly 3$ per serving.

Cottage Pie from BBC Good Food

recipe-image-legacy-id--1074465_10.jpg

[Source 2]

This is probably our current favorite since it’s so savory and has such great depth of flavor. I actually found this recipe by accident, decided to give it a try and have continued to make it ever since. To save a a couple of bucks I buy the economy size container of ground beef so I can make two pies at the same time. I also use frozen mixed veggies instead of fresh and sometimes omit the cheese in the potato mash altogether. Frugal math tells me this runs about 2.20$ per serving.

Unstuffed Cabbage Role Casserole from Give Recipe

c51df1ff43bd7e374603296d448669bc

[Source: 3]

This is a great recipe that can be eaten as a side dish with a meat protein or by itself. I usually make this once a week and we use it many different ways during the week. It’s great for a quick lunch or to go along side roast chicken for dinner. To frugalize the recipe we often omit the beef altogether and add frozen white beans from our garden instead. Frugal math tells me this runs around 1.00 per serving. Also, we omit the mint because we just don’t do mint in this house.

Pasta e fagioli con Proscuito– due amiche in cucina

pasta-e-fagioli-con-prosciutto-di-parma-e-croste-di-parmigiano-reggiano-1

[Source:4]

I actually grew up eating this at least once per week and until very recently I hated it. With the cold weather and lack of time to prepare more complex meals during the week Mer and I have really started to appreciate a hearty bowl of pasta and bean soup. To save some cash we use bacon instead of prosciutto – honestly, prosciutto just tastes funky when cooked so we prefer the bacon. We use frozen garden beans and our own homemade tomato sauce. This recipe essentially costs us a half bag of pasta and a few strips of bacon. Frugal math tells me this sets us back roughly 0.60 cents per serving.

What are some of your go to favorite meals? I love trying new recipes so I would greatly appreciate any that you have to share!

Giving credit where credit is due
[1] http://www.theclevercarrot.com/2013/05/dinner-tonight-mediterranean-baked-chicken/
[2] http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/775643/cottage-pie
[3] http://www.giverecipe.com/unstuffed-cabbage-casserole
[4] http://www.dueamicheincucina.ifood.it/2015/04/pasta-e-fagioli-con-prosciutto-di-parma-e-croste-di-parmigiano-reggiano.html

Advertisements

37 thoughts on “A few of our favorite frugal, family friendly recipes

1. cezk1 February 15, 2017 / 7:03 am

Nice recipes! Will have to try a few

Liked by 1 person

2. Jenni (aka Sassypants) February 15, 2017 / 7:15 am

Do you have/use a crock pot/slow cooker? I have a TON of recipes that we love for that, and would be happy to share.

Liked by 1 person

• Jenny February 15, 2017 / 7:16 am

I do! Please do! I would be so so appreciative!

• Jenni (aka Sassypants) February 15, 2017 / 7:26 am

How many would you like? Would you like me to post her or send an email?

• Jenny February 15, 2017 / 7:27 am

would you mind posting? It would probably be much appreciated by everyone! As many as you are comfortable sharing!

• Jenni (aka Sassypants) February 15, 2017 / 8:15 am

Recipe #1
        Asparagus Casserole

2 packages frozen asparagus spears, cut in half
        1 can condensed cream of celery soup
        1 can condensed cream of chicken soup
        2 cups saltine crackers, crushed (this seems to even out to about 1 sleeve of crackers)
        1 cup Velveeta, cubed
        1 egg

In a large bowl, combine all ingredients well (use your hands, it’s easier!). Pour into lightly greased crock pot. Cover and cook on high for 3 – 3.5 hours. After cooking, dish may be held on low for up to 2 hours before serving (or just let the crock pot do it’s thing and keep it warm.) (Approx. 289 cals per serving)

________________________________________________

Recipe #2
        9 Can Vegetable Soup

2 cans Hormel chili (any variety)
        1 can vegetable soup
        1 can green beans
        1 can sliced new potatoes
        1 can mixed vegetables
        1 can corn
        2 cans diced tomatoes

Empty entire contents of every can into crock pot (including liquid). Heat on low 6 – 8 hours or high for 2 hours. You can also skip the chili and add browned ground beef if you want beef vegetable soup. (255 cals per serving)

________________________________________________

Recipe #3
        Kielbasa Stew (this is one of our favorites!)

3 – 4 medium potatoes cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces (we use red potatoes and leave the skin on)
        1 lb kielbasa, sliced (if you really like kielbasa, get 2)
        2 cans (15 oz each) green beans, drained
        1 medium onion, quartered
        1 clove garlic, minced
        2 cans cream of mushroom soup
        1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Layer ingredients in crock pot in order isted above. Cook on low for at least hours. (Note: Has been cooked for as long as 11 hours.) (427 cals per serving)
        ________________________________________________

These are all things we have tried and like enough to have made many times. In most of them, you could likely substitute fresh produce for canned, but for us we are short on time as well as patience! I hope these can help thos of you looking for crock pot recipes! Enjoy!

Liked by 1 person

• Jenny February 15, 2017 / 8:34 am

These look amazing. I’m going to add them to my rotation next week! Thank you so much for sharing!

• mraine33 February 15, 2017 / 2:42 pm

stealing that 9 can soup one…that sounds great!

3. The Sunny Side February 15, 2017 / 7:16 am

Oooooooh! Thank you! I excited to try the Pasta E Fagioli AND Cottage Pie… I have tons of recipes (homemade and modified) so always reach out when you’re short on ideas!

Liked by 1 person

4. Stephen Bell February 15, 2017 / 7:18 am

Here in the U.K. We love cottage pie it’s nice with mashed sweet potatoes instead of your normal potatoes oo tasty

Liked by 1 person

• Jenny February 15, 2017 / 7:24 am

I hadn’t thought of that. I have used turnip mash with it and it has turned out quite well! Thanks for the tip, i’ll try that!

5. retrocasual February 15, 2017 / 7:54 am

What I do is base recipes on the ingredients, especially proteins. With mince meat it’s cottage pie, bolognaise, those kinds of dishes. With chuck cubes I make up recipes a bit more. Last week I mixed the chuck beef with gravy granules, onion and garlic granules, smoked paprika and a splash of balsamic, then layered sliced potatoes on top with more paprika and olive oil and baked in the oven for around an hour. It was lovely. With the chuck I also make a traditional recipe from my cultural background. It’s Middle Eastern and called ingriye’e. I fry aubergine first and set aside. I fry onions and the beef cubes and add in 2 tins of chopped tomatoes. Then the special flavour which is the sweet and sour taste, it’s half a cup of lemon and sugar and you mix it in with some salt and pepper. Add aubergine. The taste has to be balanced. Cook until ready and serve with rice. With chicken I make marinades out of sauces and spices, throw in some shelled garlic cloves to roast in and eat with the chicken and into the oven for an hour, serve with rice. Add veggies as and when

Liked by 1 person

• Jenny February 15, 2017 / 9:30 am

The chuck recipe sounds awesome. I’ll have to try it – I’m never successful at cooking chuck cubes unless it’s in a stew!

And the eggplant dish you’re talking about – I think I’ve actually tried that. A good friend of mine makes it but uses pom juice for its tart flavor. She also makes something similar using artichoke hearts. She basically stuffs the base of the artichoke with ground beef, rice and pine nuts that are prepared in a tomato/pom juice mixture then bakes it in the oven – It’s so so good. It’s such a wonderful mixture of flavors.

Liked by 1 person

6. beckoningharmony February 15, 2017 / 8:28 am

I have a cabbage that has unfortunately been sitting in my fridge for several weeks that I need to use! Along with three bell peppers that are on their last leg. So, that unstuffed cabbage casserole was a good reminder for me to use it up! I’ll just throw in those bell peppers too!

Liked by 1 person

• Jenny February 15, 2017 / 8:35 am

We often put in whatever extra veggies we have in our fridge and it turns out just fine!

Liked by 1 person

7. Lowcountry Hippie February 15, 2017 / 10:28 am

The Mediterranean Chicken looks really good! I’ll definitely be adding that to next week’s meal plan.

One of my favorite Go To meals would be fajitas. I keep tortillas on hand (they freeze well!), and use whatever meat we have. Chicken, beef, shrimp, even ground meats. Although, I guess that’s more of a taco?? Saute some sliced peppers and onions, top with whatever you happen to have in the fridge! It cooks super quickly on the stove or you can pop the meats into a crock pot with some salsa and shred when you’re ready to serve.

• Jenny February 18, 2017 / 2:44 pm

I love fajitas! I try to make them every so often. They’re such a perfect dinner food!

Liked by 1 person

8. SingleDadsareCool February 15, 2017 / 1:06 pm

Some great looking recipes here. Thanks for sharing. Totally going to try some of these with my kids.

9. mraine33 February 15, 2017 / 2:42 pm

Definitely going to have to try a few of those. Always looking for easy but filling meals to make!

• mraine33 February 15, 2017 / 2:49 pm

The Pasta e Fagioli website is all in I’m assuming Italian….any chance for an English translation?

• Jenny February 15, 2017 / 3:37 pm

There’s an option to translate it into english on the site!

• mraine33 February 15, 2017 / 10:34 pm

must have missed it! I’ll go back and do that then, thanks!!!

• Jenny February 17, 2017 / 7:47 am

No problem! If the translation is weird let me know and I’ll clarify!

10. roamingridersite February 15, 2017 / 6:05 pm

These sound really good. We have a similar unstuffed stuffed cabbage dish and love it. I don’t have the recipe on hand but we have a white chicken chili recipe that takes 15 minutes, is healthy and can be made as spicy or mild as you want. My 4 year old loves it.

• Jenny February 15, 2017 / 6:08 pm

If you get a minute to share I would be so grateful!

11. Rob and Becky February 15, 2017 / 8:33 pm

I love to cook ahead on the weekends and just warm up things during the week. Or, I’ll do a couple of recipes, wait a few days and eat it all, then do a couple more. Like today, I made cheddar broccoli soup (using 1/2 frozen broccoli and 1/2 frozen zucchini shreds) and we ate it for both lunch and dinner. There is enough for a meal tomorrow, or in a couple of days. I also made muffins, and my daughter is making another batch of a different kind and we ate those twice today and will freeze the rest for breakfasts.

Your recipes look good.

• Jenny February 17, 2017 / 7:47 am

It makes life so much easier doesn’t it! I’m looking for a good muffin recipe, would you mind sharing?

• Rob and Becky February 17, 2017 / 4:30 pm

I would be glad to, probably over the weekend, when I have enough time to dig one up–I will probably send the lemon-poppy seed one–it’s awesome.

• Jenny February 18, 2017 / 2:42 pm

Thank you! I really appreciate it!

12. cookandenjoyrecipes February 15, 2017 / 10:32 pm

I am so happy to have tracked you down as a nominee of my Blog-aholic Award.
    Congratulations and well done.
    Now I am able to also follow you and see what you have to share.
    Happy Blogging Blog-aholic

13. BreAnna Rood March 1, 2017 / 10:28 pm

This is so great! I also modify recipes all of the time. I think one of the best ways to save money in the kitchen is learning how to substitute ingredients. Use what you have!

• Jenny March 2, 2017 / 7:18 am

Absolutely! It also helps reduce food clutter and waste.

Liked by 1 person